VioLet Composer 0.56 Alpha
VioLet Composer is a tool for writing music from scratch using only a single x86 compatible PC with a soundcard. Besides providing a complete composing toolkit in one application, VioLet Composer has the following advantages over other products:
- Open Source: VioLet Composer is completely open source, written in C#. This, along with a design philosophy that envisages future expansion in all areas, means it has much greater scope for future expansion than a share-ware or even a commercial product.
- Modular: VioLet Composer allows third parties to improve the program by plugging in new sound processing extensions, which can be developed at run-time using the application itself. The source code itself also allows for easy future expansion by third-parties.
- Wavelet Based: Using wavelets as the basis for audio processing (as well as Т‘normalТ‘ PCM) and using not two but four machine types to do out-of-order sound processing allows for a huge range of new and interesting techniques and effects.
- 3D Sound: Using 3D events internally and then downmixing to the userТ‘s hardware allows for complete spatial representation without requiring any extra hardware, and the ability to output video data in similar fashion is planned for later development.
- Event based audio output: VioLet Composer has a stable audio chain which renders events of different types onto the audio stream in real-time.
- Scalable GUI: VioLet Composer has a working GUI including wiring view, arrangement and pattern editors, sample bank, and machine editor. The interface may be adjusted to suit a viewerТ‘s preferred text size and is resolution independent.
- Four type modular machine architecture: VioLet Composer accepts C# code and can create plugins and use them at run-time without restarting. The inclusion of a note layer in the audio chain allows for note generator and note effect machines.
- Complex arrangement: VioLet Composer can play back an arrangement of multiple patterns of different time-signatures and tempos on each machine and allows machines of the same type to share patterns.
- Simple reliable file format: VioLet Composer features and auto-backup facility and creates formatted, heirarchical files which are easily edited manually or recovered by the program in the event of a problem.
- Machine version control: VioLet Composer can recognise different versions of the same plugin and will use the version that most closely matches the composition.
- Realtime playback: VioLet Composer can play sounds when the composition is stopped, allowing users to jam or trial machines before using them in a composition.
- Pluggable editing tools: VioLet Composer provides base classes for writing tools to aid in editing patterns and arrangements, including things like interpolation and randomisation.